Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A few days back, Delhi was engulfed in a Thick fog blanket. I had to go to visit an ailing friend of mine, who lives near Anand Vihar flyover, East Delhi.

It was about 5.15pm, the roads were almost empty, wheather was cold and light diminishing.As soon as I reached the National Highway Near Mayur Vihar- I, I spotted a young lady of about 29/30 yrs asking for lift. She was wearing good clothes, If I remember correctly now, a nice jacket, jeans etc. Seemed from a very good family and in distress. I have heard so many stories about hitch hiking and there after effects, but seeing a poor girl helpless on the empty and foggy road, made me forget all those stories, and as a good samaritan, I stopped my car and checked with her if I could be of any help to her.She asked me if I could drop her near Bus Terminal.

Though I was going to the same side, but somehow, the Idea of sitting with an unknown girl in the car made me uncomfortable, and I told her that I would be going only till the next traffic light junction, and then will turn right.She however asked me to drop on the same Light, so that she might get something from there to travel to her desired destination. Naturally I helped her and asked her to sit in the car.

Realising that the distance of travelling with me is going to be very short, she immediately after sitting, said " Do you want to do something?" It didn't register to me and asked her What did you say? She again repeated the question and said that she was a call girl. The drops of sweat appeared on my temples, and my mind went blank. I immediately stopped my car and asked her to get out of my car. She said " why don't you take a close look on me." I looked around in my car if there is anything valuable lying in the car, and caught her as well, scanning the interior of my car. There was nothing, and before she could say another word I simply came out of the car, and took out my mobile, as if I was going to call the police. She then decided to come out of the car and went away. I simply sat in the car, locked the doors and drove away, as if I had seen a bhoot. Looked in my rear view mirror and saw her again showing her thumb and asking for a lift on the road. Ufff Phewwww.

Today, I think, that I stopped my car, because I thought an innocent girl in distress was in need of help, BUT, this incident will stop me, now onwards, to STOP AND HELP ANY OTHER GIRL, EVEN IF SHE ACTUALLY NEEDS HELP.

Life has taught me another lesson to ignore and BE HAPPY.

3 comments:

  1. did this really happen?
    bole to apni to lag jaati!
    hmmm..tabhi papa mujhe gaadi nahi chalaane dete!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, beta. It actually did happen. It is sad that one will now be scared to even help the genuine person in need... But.. apne dad ki kuch dino aur sun lo..

    ReplyDelete
  3. god....bach ke rehna..log buzurgiat ka bhi lihaaz nahi karte

    ReplyDelete